Do you have a construction project that we can help you with?
Bond St Seismic Upgrade
In February 2018, Greg Mouroukis engaged Built Construction Group to undertake a seismic upgrade to strengthen the two-storey building at 14–20 Bond Street, Central Wellington. The building’s ground floor is occupied by numerous food and retail shops, while the second floor is home to the Fork & Brewer bar.
The project involved stripping out all the shop fit-outs on the ground floor, taking everything back to bare bones, which meant all the ground floor tenants had to vacate while we completed the work. We had to break out the concrete slabs, and install structural steel beam reinforcing to the ceiling. It then all had to be put back together, reconstructing the ground floor shops so the tenants could resume occupation and business.
On the second level, the deck was rotten and leaking. Repairing it required closing the Fork & Brewer’s deck for three months just before Christmas, so we could strip the deck back and rebuild it. We had to ensure the deck repairs were completed ahead of Christmas so that the Fork & Brewer would have the benefit of a full Christmas trade.
Challenges of the project included working around a live environment with a Certificate for Public Use (CPU) in place, and keeping the noise to a minimum during the Fork & Brewer’s trading hours. That meant stopping all noisy work by 11am each day of the project. We were able to do this successfully, and meet the Fork & Brewer’s Christmas deadline.
The project was fully completed in December 2020, having taken just under two years. At its height, we had around eight builders working on the project. We also engaged subcontractors to carry out:
- Steel fabrication – Installation of all the structural steel.
- Electrical Work – Wiring out all the tenancies once the building work was complete.
- Reinforcing / concrete Work – Ground floor beams.
- Plumbing – New bathrooms, and alterations to existing plumbing.
- Fire services – Removal and reinstatement of fire services.
- Painting and plastering – Finish for tenancies and exterior.
- Carpentry – Building new tenancies, rebuilding desk.
- Window joinery – New shop fronts for all ground floor tenancies.
PHONE 022 126 3416 OR COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW TO MAKE CONTACT WITH OUR TEAM